Monday, April 26, 2010

My little joy!



I see the world a little differently these days.
I see the joy in the street signs, what is not to love about street signs, they are geometric shapes with bright colors?
I see the joy in fire hydrants, what funny shapes they are.
I see the joy in houses, cars, dogs, cats even...I see even more joy in other kids, bikes, trucks, grass, rocks, florescent lights, signs in grocery stores, carts, racks of belts, and many many many more wonderful things around me.

Why am I noticing all these wonderfully ordinary things? I am blaming a little almost one year old that brightens every day. From the moment that he wakes up in the morning with a coy little grin to when he throws a temper tantrum because we won't let him play int the toilet, every moment brings something new to discover, to explore, to experience. As I watch him experience the world around him I get to see the joy on his face.

As we get closer to his first birthday I reflect on how much my life has changed. In the last year I became a mother, finished being a student, started a new career, been more tired then I have ever been in my entire life, cried over more silly little things than I can count (dang hormones), fallen asleep sitting up, spent way to much time smelling like sour milk, given more kisses then I can count, "eaten" baby fingers and toys, made silly faces and jumped around just to hear baby giggles, fretted over things like schedules, snacks, germs, and bruises, learned how awesome the DVR is, rejoiced in little grunts, squeaks, first words, walked around the store talking to myself but passing it off like I am talking to him, blown raspberries in the car, and become a better person as a result. And that is the tip of the ice burg.

I can't wait for what the next year will bring to me, what new joys I will experience, what new lessons I will learn.

7 comments:

katieanne said...

Beautiful! Motherhood is awesome- even when it's hard :)

Heather Palmer said...

It's so hard to explain to people who don't have kids but it's almost like you get a whole new set of eyes to see the world when you become a mother. My kids first birthdays are kind of sad to me because they are turning into toddlers and not babies anymore but it's so fun to watch them start exploring the world.

Nicole Russell Willis said...

AWWWWWWWWW AWWWWWWWW, Jess!!! SO SO SWEET!

Lori Sirs said...

This is just precious, Jessica - I got all teary-eyed! Hugs!

Unknown said...

our babies are blessings huh??? Lil Raivis is an adorable babe. i just love his sweet face.The first year will soon be a blur to you. He is getting so big...he will be as big as Vince before ya know it. sniff sniff... yet I have loved all the years of my children. They are blessings. I wouldn't want it any other way. You area wonderful Mam and (both of you are awesome parents)Much love to you guys.Mica

Rachael said...

Jessica, you and Nik are such awesome parents. It brings a tear to my eye just to think about it. This writing is just wonderful! Give my beautiful now almost one-year-old grandson a huge hug for me. I love you all so much!

Carol said...

You are a wonderful daughter and mother! I love you! I am proud to be your mother, Nik's mother-in-law and Raivis's Grandmother.